Overview of the ecomsUDG.Raccess package
Since the ?R language has been adopted for some key tasks in the EUPORIAS and SPECS projects (including the development of comprehensive validation and statistical-downscaling packages), the ecomsUDG.Raccess is envisaged as a user-friendly, R-based interface to the ECOMS User Data Gateway, enabling authentication? and remote access to the different datasets (seasonal forecasting, observations, reanalysis) currently available. Moreover, ecomsUDG.Raccess implements data homogenization (a single vocabulary) and time filtering/aggregation functionality.
The ecomsUDG.Raccess package relies on the rJava package as an interface to the powerful capabilities of the ?Unidata's netCDF Java library.
The latest versions (stable and/or devel) can be installed directly from ?gitHub, but please note that the R package ?devtools must be installed.
Latest stable release 2.2-4 (25 Aug 2014)
?see what's new
To obtain the latest stable release of the ecomsUDG.Raccess package (and the associated dependencies), type the following commands from your R console:
If attempting the installation from a proxy server and getting an error, please try this.
- version 2.2-3 (18 Aug 2014)
- Bug fix for 1-dimensional output data queries (i.e. time series at single point locations, without members)
- version 2.2-2 (18 Aug 2014)
- New global attributes in output (thanks to Stefan Siegert for this suggestion):
- dataset: Name of the dataset returned (e.g. "System4_seasonal_15", "NCEP", etc.)
- Consistent ordering of array dimensions: The output n-dimensional array now preserves the canonical ordering of its dimensions: (member, time, level, lat, lon) (thanks to Stefan Siegert for this suggestion)
- New daily aggregation options: minimum and maximum daily data are now returned when using the time = "DD" option for the relevant variables (e.g. "tasmin", "tasmax" ...).
- version 2.2-1 (05 Aug 2014)
- Minor enhancements:
- Improved on screen error messages with clearer instructions for error fixing
- The 'runtime' dimension in CFSv2 output data array has been changed to 'member' for better integration with downscaleR::plotMeanField
- version 2.2-0 (16 Jul 2014)
- New dependency on R Package downscaleR with inherited features such as:
- Plotting mean fields
- Fast Multi-member Interpolation/re-gridding capabilities
- Many more coming in the next major downscaleR release (bias correction, perfect-prog downscaling methods...)
- HTTP Java authenticator on-screen messages have been suppressed: Only user-relevant information is now displayed
- Automatically checks and warns the user about new available versions on attach
- Other minor bug fixes and improvements
- version 2.1-1 (11 Jul 2014)
- Bug fix accessing surface air temperature and derived variables in System4 with mean daily temporal aggregation (thanks to Maria Dolores Frķas for pointing to the error)
- version 2.1-0 (8 Jul 2014)
- New extended list of available variables
- NCEP reanalysis included in available datasets
- On-the-fly computation of derived variables
- Support for variables with vertical levels and static (e.g. geopotential surface zs)
- New dependency on downscaleR.java R package containing Java dependencies
- version 2.0-0 (16-jun-2014).
- New input/output format
- Access to a extended list of surface variables
- New observational gridded dataset WFDEI
- On-the-fly time filtering/aggregation capabilities
- version 1.0-0 (17-feb-2014). Access to a limited list of surface variables for System4 and CFSv2 datasets.
The development version is available at the 'master' branch of the ??gitHub repository, but please note that the development version is unstable and may not be functional