The User Data Gateway (UDG)
The User Data Gateway (UDG) is the one-stop shop for climate data access maintained by the ?Santander MetGroup. The UDG builds on a THREDDS server with two extra layers for 1) authentication and 2) data access (based on R). The authentication builds on the
?THREDDS Access Portal (UDG-TAP), which is the entry point to the UDG (information for registration).
Authorization is organized in thematic groups, according to the data policies of different projects and international initiatives. Each group provides access to a particular catalog of datasets:
- PUBLIC_DATA (open). Includes data from publicly available datasets: observations (WFDEI), reanalysis (NCEP reanalysis1), seasonal re-forecasts (CFS_v2), CMIP5 climate projections soon.
- SPECS, EUPORIAS and NACLIM (restricted to members of the above ECOMS projects). A thematic group dealing with seasonal forecasting. Provides access to private seasonal hindcasts (System4, GloSea5, SMHI-EC-EARTH Euporias), as well as some other observational and reanalysis data used in these initiatives. ?Variables.
- VALUE and CORDEX-ESD (restricted to project members). Provide access to a subset of standard statistical downscaling predictors for reanalysis (ERA-Interim, JRA-55) and CMIP5 GCMs for different scenarios (historical, RCP4.5, RCP8.5). ?Variables.
- ESGF-CORDEX. Interim group for accessing CORDEX datasets during ?ESGF shutdown.
Data access is facilitated in two different ways:
- Downloading locally subsets of the data (for a particular region and time period) from the UDG-TAP building on OPeNDAP and subsetting services.
- Accessing remotely to user defined subsets via the loadeR R bundle.
More information about the available user-friendly interfaces.